Forums Latest Members

200 thread count minimum. Black Crosshair Dial needed for Seamaster 116.010.

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 24, 2014

Indeed I am lucky amateur :D

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2014

If he'd just posted asking to have his access added and explained he wanted to post a WTB ad for a Seamaster dial I'd have checked him out briefly and added, no idea why on earth this was even necessary

3. bvertz Sep 24, 2014

Allow me to chime in, if I may. You might want to have lesser restrictions for the WTB threads because they pose a much lesser risk. And, at least in my case, they may be one of the first opportunities for n00bs like me to interact with experienced reputable members. In a few months I have purchased four watches from members, and it all began with a WTB post that was answered by Kyle. I might not have 200 posts yet, for all I know. And I might not have 4 watches in my winder if it weren't for that first WTB post. If I had to wait for 200 posts, I might not have stuck around long enough.

STANDY likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 24, 2014

Sounds fair enough.......

citizenrich likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Ultimately this really is a watch discussion forum, and that is really always going to be the priority, the FS section is a secondary element to the knowledge, debate and discussion with like minded people and should never get in the way of that.

That guys whole attitude of "I don't want to participate, I just want a free alternative to eBay" is remarkably disappointing.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Except that WTB is an area that is most often targeted by scammers. Scammers post WTB ads for watches they know you are trying to sell, catching folks with their guard down, "Oh look here's a poor chap searching for the very watch I am trying to sell, I can help him out." :rolleyes: Same net result, a member is out 5000 bucks

citizenrich and stef2010 like this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 25, 2014

::facepalm1::

8. davidswiss Sep 25, 2014

Ah ha. Now I know why, when I look at stuff in the for sale section, a message appears telling me I'm not allowed to reply to anything.
    I'm happy with that if it keeps the thieves at bay. It means when I do buy/sell I will feel more comfortable about the person at the other end of the deal who I will probably never meet face to face.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Really I was actually very hesitant to implement this because I was concerned people might let their guard down more if they felt the restrictions we'd added were "enough", use paypal, take care, do your homework, ask for references. If people did this to start with we wouldn't have had to make these changes and it concerns me greatly that so many people don't use appropriate caution.

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Even with the new post requirements, you guys shouldn't be any more trusting of the people you're dealing with. If you're ever not 110% certain about a person or transacting with them, always use Paypal (in additional to all of the usual background checks, google stalking, etc).

Don't use bank wires or other methods of payment if you're not willing to potentially lose that cash and never see it again. There's no way to reverse a bank wire and recover your funds.

citizenrich likes this.
  11. speedbird Sep 25, 2014

I disagree. If someone in good standing here enters into a deal with a stranger here they can be just as easily scammed. with money changing hands, there is always risk. I like the safeguards in place here and elsewhere. They aren't going to stop a highly motivated creep but they'll put off the casual creep

citizenrich likes this.
  12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

We can manually add people to the 'safe' list but we will always look at their selling history with other members first.

If you have never sold or bought anything then unfortunately you have to sit tight and post 200 and that does not mean you post like the idiot did yesterday.

citizenrich and bvertz like this.
  13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2014

Some restrictions will no doubt eliminate a lazy scammer or three, and that's a good thing.

You can't, however, put in enough rules to protect people from themselves. Human nature is an unstoppable force.

The most heavily moderated and restrictive watch forum marketplace I've participated in still attracts scammers.

Buy the seller and caveat emptor are still the best rules around.

Privateday7 and citizenrich like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2014

Is he gone? If so I guess I that's why I can't answer the PM he sent me yesterday....

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

yep

epl108 likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Dennis had to remove his access as there was no other way to stop him continuing from 52 or whatever he was up to, to 200... If its important I can PM you his email address

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2014

No need. It's not like I don't have enough work already...and with the attitude he showed here I'm not really interested in his business anyway.

Cheers, Al

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

He had a total lack of respect to not just everyone but everything.

He would of been the sort of guy that would question your work then say he wants a discount!

19. Hijak Sep 25, 2014

WOW, what a dick!:rolleyes:

citizenrich and Darlinboy like this.
  20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2014

If anyone needs a 200 thread count, there is an easier way...
    [​IMG]

Fretworker, epl108, GoDuke1 and 13 others like this.