Forums Latest Members
  1. m84 Jan 27, 2015

Hey guys,
    I recently saw the 30mm thread and since this is more of a question post, rather then a showcase Im creating a new thread.

So I saw these 2 watches online which but haven't seen them in person yet and wanted to know your general opinion (condition/originality and general price range) on them as Im a true beginner in this field. Pics from the sellers and aren't great.

First up:

[​IMG]
    I now this one is a cal. 420 Seamaster probably from the late 50s but I have only seen 2 other photos of this configuration online; black dial, red second hand. Maybe too clean dial and case? Also, is this crown legit for this model?

Second:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, late 50s cal.267, 2900-3 i think it says. Have also only seen 1 other with this dial/subdial/hands configuration. Again, is the crown original to this model? What is that recess dot on the 11 lug? I can't tell what that blemish is on the caseback, but is this something to worry about?

I know these calibers were fit to various models and versions so thanks in advance for any insight!

2. mac_omega Jan 27, 2015

Why would you consider such a poor rotten example as the second one? Poor dial, heavy corrosion on back!

Not sure about the first one - red second hand most probably a wrong replacement. Not sure about the crown either...

3. datniche27 Jan 28, 2015

The black dial - pretty hard to tell if the dial is original from this picture, but I see no obvious problems. Seems legit enough but would really need to see more. Hopefully someone here is an expert on the red seconds hand. I just know it is pretty unlikely that is original to this watch, though a rare few models did have one originally. I get the feeling this isn't one of those though. Also hard to tell about the crown in this pic with it unscrewed. The shape seems right, possibly too thick though (could be that it's unscrewed playing a trick on me). So overall, looks nice but would need to see more.

The second is original. Lugs seem pretty heavily polished. I believe this would have had an unsigned crown (someone correct me if wrong)

4. m84 Jan 28, 2015

Hey thanks for getting back to me guys.
    mac_omega, I actually don't mind the dial as it is, but that corrosion sounds worrying... datniche27, good call on the polished lugs, didn't notice them but now i think you might be right.
    Regarding the red seconds hand, the seller states that it is a rare thing on these omegas and is making that his selling point i think. As I said I have only seen 2 other examples of this so maybe there's some truth to this?

Cheers,

EDIT: datniche27, just noticed your avatar is a similar Seamaster as the first one including similar crown!

5. tdn-dk Jan 28, 2015

My cal. 420 ref. 2814 has a red second hand and is shown in the vintagedatabase with a red hand, so i think it is correct.

[​IMG]

6. datniche27 Jan 28, 2015

Nice Ω perfectly captured in the crystal! ^

The one in my avatar is a bit different, but surely some similarities from the same era
    [​IMG]