Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 13, 2013

Pretty standard aroUnd here!

2. ecdoug Feb 13, 2013

:D Thanks, gatorcpa. Yep, looks something like that! I didn't mean to say it was inferior, just asking if they were.

Thanks for all the replies, you'll see something from me soon.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 13, 2013

With respect to sending it to Omega - I don't have direct experience, but if Omega works like other watch companies, the best case is that they will overcharge you for servicing a fairly straightforward movement, well within the capability of a good independent watchmaker. The worst is that they will overdo the job, with unwarranted polishing and parts substitutions that will destroy the patina of the piece. At the very least, get a quote before authorizing anything and compare with one from your friendly local independent.

ecdoug likes this.
  4. tomvox1 Feb 13, 2013

Omega proper is fairly expensive and the service will probably cost more than the value of the OP's watch. As Lou said, better to give it to a talented local watchmaker who will also follow instructions, such as "movement service only, no (or light) polish".
    Most watchmaker's love Omega because their movements are relatively easy to service, although their parts prices and waiting time for them (if you need something not available from O. Frei) have both escalated in recent years.
    Best,
    T.

ecdoug likes this.
  5. 124watchfan Feb 14, 2013

Presentation watches were very common back in the day before the quartz revolution. Here is a nice little example from '57. Gold filled caliber 500. I can almost imagine what it would have been like to receive such a gift. Most companies these days give service pins or rings, more likely a pat on the back if u are lucky. My wife's company does go all out though. Rolex watches for 20 yrs service. :thumbsup: She's at 18 and counting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pknopp Feb 15, 2013

That's pretty impressive for 10 years. I'm trying to remember what I got...........it was something cheap and crappy.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 15, 2013

In Australia for 10 years, we get Long Service Leave - 3 months leave at full pay. Not bad, but a gold watch would be nice also!

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 15, 2013

Boy that sounds good, self employed for more than forty years and just hoping I might get a state pension :(
    Omg deviating from the thread again :)

9. Wheels Feb 15, 2013

I did 20 and got my 6 months. Bit over 20 actually, I had to cover some non-effective service ;)
    Spent that 6 months as a ski instructor in Vail, Colorado :)

10. ecdoug Feb 28, 2013

Alright, finally some pictures! I got the watch back from Omega after getting their estimate. Obviously, nothing has been done to the watch. Sorry for the bad photos, just couldn't get good, crisp pictures to come out.

DSC02042.JPG DSC02046.JPG DSC02047.JPG DSC02048.JPG DSC02049.JPG DSC02050.JPG DSC02051.JPG

11. alx007 May 29, 2013

Hey ecdoug -

I just saw this post looking for info about this watch. I recently bought one of these on ebay. It looks just like yours, minus the bracelet - mine came with a horrendous Speidel flex-o-matic (I think that's how it's called) - and the crown.

If you don't mind me asking, what would Omega charge you to service it?

12. prostie1200 May 29, 2013

Think your right Alpha - this is my grandfathers retirement watch for 47 years service in 1924 - it weighs a ton and 18K taboot.

_DSC2736.jpg _DSC2737.jpg
    Alpha, Central Scrutinizer and alx007 like this.
  13. alx007 May 29, 2013

Wow! I have to say - that's a really awesome heirloom!

14. lvasq Jul 28, 2014

I found this forum while looking for information about my grandfather's 1976 Omega watch - also a 40 year USS service award. It was recently passed on to me with some other mementos.

It included all of the original packaging materials - inner case, outer cardboard box, instruction booklet and international guarantee card.

I was intrigued and would appreciate if anyone can tell me more about it. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. repoman Jul 28, 2014

I just reached 20 years at a large silicon valley database company, and for that I had my selection from a couple Bulova or Movada watches at the $400 price point. blech! Yes, its quite sad when I see used Rolex's for sale, with inscriptions on the case back indicating it was a 10 year anniversary watch from the 60's or 70's. My, how times have changed.

BTW - I opted for a $400 Visa gift card and with that I bought a Hamilton Khaki and a kangaroo strap to go with it.

larryganz and Alpha like this.
  16. alx007 Jul 29, 2014

Wow! This is in beautiful shape, and the fact that you have box and all the paperwork makes it very special, but surely not as much as the fact it belonged to your grandpa.

This watch looks a lot like one I got last year. If it's the same model, it has a 1010 omega calibre. It's not regarded as one of Omega's best movements because of its predecessor, but from own experience, it's a fine movement. It's not as pretty as the 500 family from the 60's, but it's Omega's first 28.8kbph, which I find very neat.

Mine was banged up as all hell, but I left it with my watchmaker and in time it was looking as good as it ever did. It wasn't too cheap, but well worth it! I would recommend you to do the same.

I am impressed to see that the watch actually came in a Spiedel band. So did mine. I replaced it, and it gave the watch a new life.

Here's a pic of mine after the service. [​IMG]

17. larryganz The cable guy Aug 1, 2014

Make them Engrave It

kkt likes this.
  18. ecdoug Dec 13, 2017

So, any answers for me?! (pictures were added)

I never did anything previously, I wore the watch as it was until about a year ago. It quit running, I took it off and it's been stored ever since. I recently decided it was time to get it going again. I first wanted to see what Omega recommended. Unfortunately they want to replace the dial and suggest that because the existing dial is made of copper, it isn’t able to be refinished, and the moisture damage to the dial is causing the luminous material to flake off which will affect the running of the movement. They offered a new, blue dial.

I'm all over the place trying to decide what to do. I want to wear it and I want it to work, but can't imagine replacing the dial.

1. Have them replace everything, dial included, and then find someone else to work on the dial and put it back in.
    2. Take it elsewhere.
    3. Any options out there to have someone recreate the US Steel emblem to put on a new dial? (It's #3 for a reason).

Thanks for any feedback & recommendations!

19. kkt Dec 13, 2017

Ooh, that's too bad about the dial.

I would ask for a second opinion for a watchmaker who is experienced with vintage Omega. If you post what city you're in maybe someone can help you locate someone.

20. kkt Dec 13, 2017

I'm seeing a USS retirement watch for sale on Ebay now. I wonder if its dial would fit into your watch.