Forums Latest Members
  1. Paul** Jul 21, 2014

Hello All. This weekend I picked up a 1970 Omega Geneve Automatic which was originally purchased by my mother as an engagement gift to my father. Unfortunately my father doesn't appear to have treated it very well... at some point he seems to have replaced the strap with something a little hideous, he's managed to accumulate scratches on the glass and the watch badly needs a service (since it's been sat in a drawer since the early 80's when he decided to upgrade to one of those new digital watch things).

I called the Omega Vintage shop in London, UK and based purely on model and year and without seeing the condition the watch they quoted me the following: they'd take the watch away for 4-6 weeks and come back to me with a report of what needs to be done to the watch. If i elected not to take things any further they'll charge me £50. If i want to proceed they will then take another 2 months and charge me £500.

This price and that turn around time seem steep to me and I wonder if it's inflated because they basically send it back to Omega. so...
    • Do you guys think this price is worthwhile or am i throwing good money after bad?
    • Does anyone know anyone reputable in London, UK who could do this cheaper and quicker?
    Thank you!

omega geneve.JPG
  2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 21, 2014

Imho save yourself a lot of cash and use an independent watchmaker. Pm sent.

3. Paul** Jul 21, 2014

Thanks Alpha and thanks for the jeweler recommendation though it seems from his blog that he has quite a waiting list! My concern is that this watch is so dinged up that it might not be worth rescuing i.e. you'd have to spend more money doing it up than it's actually worth. love to hear some opinions on that.

4. Mothra Jul 21, 2014

:) Its your dads watch! It has to be worth the £160 a service and a new crystal is going to cost you from an independent.... although, to be fair its never going to be worth a load of money. I think I know who alpha pointed you at so it might be worth checking out stefan 's waiting list - he's a member here but based in london.....

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2014

One thing - do not go through the Omega Vintage shop (otherwise known as Somlo). They are not part of Omega and are charging you middleman prices, with all the extra delays that go with it.

For an Omega service contact STS in Southend. A standard vintage service from them should be £375 & it'll take 4-6 weeks typically. Somlo will do the same and take a mark up off you for acting as a post box.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2014

stefan is excellent if you can book him

7. Paul** Jul 22, 2014

Hi dsio and Mothra, Alpha actually recommended someone else, do you have a link to @stefan's website? I'll speak to both of them.

8. ibob Jul 22, 2014

Hi Paul,

Sorry to post a question on your thread but i seen an Omega Geneve Ladies watch in a pawn shop today and came home to see if i could find some information about it online. After scouring the internet for about 2 hours i still haven't found anything on this exact watch but have found some similar looking ones online, including your one. I don't think it's automatic, my guess would be mechanical. Not sure what year it is either, maybe 60's?

Anyway i was thinking of buying it for my mother but don't want to get ripped off, so was just wondering if you or anyone else would know anything about it just by looking at the picture eg. what year and price range?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_2014-07-22-15-11-56[1].png