Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 20, 2014

...but not $8 a month? Never mind, that's none of my business.

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 20, 2014

Depend on where you live. In Asia, $200-300 will get you decent quality service from qualified independent watchmaker. (Technician ex Rolex or Omega service center)

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2014

If you want to get an understanding of what is involved in servicing a watch and realise why it costs what it does, there is an excellent blog from a semi-professional watchmaker in the UK here:

http://watchguy.co.uk/

He is very highly regarded and used by a couple of the members here. You will also see that he has a schedule of charges for his work.

4. richardew Apr 21, 2014

My watchmaker, who has since retired, would charge for 3 hours labor - disassembly, cleaning the parts, reassembly, polishing the case (not on my vintage watches), etc.. c321, c861 or c1861 all take the same labor. It is routine to change the pushers, crown, gaskets and crystal. These parts all have seals and contribute to maintaining the integrity of the interior of the watch. Other than a mainspring on one of mine, none of the others needed any other parts. If you get one, it may not need another service for 10 years. In the next 5-10 years your situation will be different. If servicing the watch is an issue you can always sell it. If it's a speedmaster there should be a market for the watch.

Privateday7 likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2014

I pay about 250-300 for a 321 service but my watchmaker is a talented older gentleman that finds my vintage omegas a pleasant change from battery changes on junk fashion watches and enjoys the chance to do some real watchmaking.