Forums Latest Members
  1. simonaus Jul 23, 2014

first off..
    hello everyone
    and now to my first post - like most 1st posts I need help
    I'm looking for a 1968 birth year watch.
    I'm after something "chunky" and a bit "brutish" from 1968.
    I have an extremely tattooed arm and a dress watch doesn't quite suit.

A 145.008 chronostop seems to sort of fit the bill, but is there anything else I should consider.
    And if so, any advice on movements to look out for or avoid for future servicing.
    I'm trying to do some research first before my itchy wallet takes over and I buy something I will regret later.

All help and advice is appreciated..

2. Lex4TDI4Life Jul 23, 2014

What's your budget?

A nice Speedmaster or SM300 from that era might suit you nicely, but a decent one will cost a pretty penny more than a chronostop.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2014

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 23, 2014

Speedmaster, the "Astronauts watch", seems like it would fill the bill.

Note* photo off of google, ask for help here to make sure you get a righteous, collectable that will increase in value! There is quite a cult following of these.

untitled.png

5. tomvox1 Jul 23, 2014

First of all -- excellent year to be born! :cool:
    Second of all -- the jumbo Chronostop is a good choice because, unfortunately, most of the other really chunky models with tonneau-style cases -- Flightmaster, Speedy Mark II & III, the big Seamaster 120 Blue & Big Blue Chrono, the 145.023 Anakin & Darth Tungsten case chronos, etc -- all date from 1969 or later.
    What a difference a year makes!
    Good luck,
    T.

simonaus likes this.
  6. simonaus Jul 23, 2014

I don't really have a strict budget as such, but I don't want to blow a fortune as well.
    (my birth year fund all comes from the one fund and I also have a lead on an original 68 gretch round badge kit at the moment, competing against the watch budget...I've been chasing one of those for over 10 years now.. seriously hard to find)

but as this will be a "keeper" I'd hope to find something original and not restored for up to about 2 grand.
    (leave a little in the pocket for a service perhaps - hence my query about movements..)
    not in a rush and would like to know what I'm getting into..

I'd prefer beat up rather than restored if the movement is all good and reliable.
    Not looking for a speedy for this watch, that's not to say won't happen further down the track,
    and a non-restored SM300 may be too many dollars at this stage.
    but I would like something a little bit more unique to the birth year or era, for want of better words.
    tomvox1 is in my ballpark ideas wise.

Thanks for all the advice so far..
    Just wanted to do a bit of research first, before I ask for advice on every 1968 omega listed on ebay...
    narrow the field I guess..

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 24, 2014

You picked a bad year to be born wanting a birth year omega, the speedy and seamasters are iconic from this year. The speedy because of the space/moon thing. The seamaster 300 from that year is highly sought after too and achingly expensive. Now a nice constellation, say a pie pan is more affordable in basic forms. It might not be chunky but they are a fine looking watch with a great movement.

8. Davidt Jul 24, 2014

I'm incredibly biased but I'd certainly try and stretch the budget a touch and aim for a '68 Speedmaster transitional. Chunky, iconic, retains the general look of the 321cal with the 861 movement so it should be slightly easier to maintain.

MikiJ likes this.
  9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 24, 2014

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2014

+2

11. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 24, 2014

Good birth year. Beats when someone told me they wanted a birth year 1957 Speedmaster....

12. Lex4TDI4Life Jul 24, 2014

And I thought my future '75 Soyuz Speedy was gonna be tough to find...

13. simonaus Jul 25, 2014

There is a lot of speedmaster love here..

at this stage from what i've seen of the prices of a good 68 speedy, its probably a little bit on the expensive side for me as a daily wearer.
    A jumbo chronostop could fit the job description, as it seems to be a bit unique from the era, but i'm no expert on whats good from this year, so please keep the opinions coming.

like i said, a speedy is not off my list, and the longer i have to wait, the closer it gets to being on my list..
    and i will need to treat myself to something for the big five o which is not too far away !!

But for the moment I just don't want something that I'll be too paranoid to use as a daily.
    I already have enough of those hidden away in the cupboard.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2014

Just be aware that any 1968 watch won't be water resistant at all so you'll have to keep it dry even though they stand up to abuse well.

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 25, 2014

Just about the only 1968 watch you will have to pay a premiun for is the Chronostop in the special Olympic box. Other than that, you should be fine.