Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1966 Omega Constellation Stainless Pie Pan

1. Mothra Jan 17, 2018

Price: £1,100

1966 Omega Constellation Stainless Pie Pan
    Case ref: 168.005

I’m sad to be offering my first ever vintage purchase – the most desirable 168.005 stainless steel pie pan constellation with quickset 564 movement – but confident it will find a home with a new watch collector. This is a 24 jewel automatic chronometer with calendar. All functions work properly and the quick set date changes smoothly.

I suspect this is a good price for this watch, and especially dial condition, in the current market and it will not be around for long.

The case is 34.5 mm, but wears reasonably large as a dress watch. The lug gap is 18mm. The medallion is crisp and there are no significant signs of hamfisted caseback removal

The original factory printed dial and white gold markers on this particular watch are immaculate and very attractive in the metal. There is no sign of flaking, pimpling or discoloration which is so common to this reference. In sunlight, the pie pan segments are amazing. The case has been polished at some point in the past but still has definition and a good shape. The crown is either original or at least the correct decagonal shape – something that is becoming harder and harder to come by.

I bought this at the Birmingham watch fair in June 2012 and it’s been in my collection ever since – worn maybe half a dozen times on very special occaisions.
    2 Constellation Stainless Pie Pan.jpg
    The photo above was take a little while ago with a macro lens and shows the dial condition well. The following three photos are from today and although not as sharp should show the current condition is unchanged.
    20180117_100725.jpg 20180117_100707.jpg 20180117_100655.jpg

I started with constellations because there is a huge amount of research material out there – mondodec (a member of this forum) is a really good starting point if you have yet to discover the flagship omega watch line at a time where craftsmanship probably hit its peak:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//About_Collecting_Omega_Constellations.pdf

or:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/

Although it was sold to me as recently serviced, I had no documentation to support this, and by now you should assume service is required. Having said that, it keeps good time and the movement is clean.

The watch will ship with a genuine red omega box although I do not believe this is the correct box for the watch. sspiepanmvmt.JPG
    I’m selling to consolidate my collection into a smaller number of more modern pieces.
    I’ve been a member of this forum since 2012 and have no desire to mislead buyers. I have a 100% feedback ebay account I am happy to share details of and have bought from many members on this forum.

I can arrange delivery in UK or USA, cost to be discussed based on your requirements. I will not understate value and the watch will be tracked and insured.

Returns are welcome if you send the watch back at your cost in the same condition.

Payment by bank transfer is preferred. Other options can be discussed. Face to face with cash is possible in London or Reading

mbeast, chanbar, kkt and 9 others like this.
  2. Hnansen Jan 17, 2018

Gone in 3... 2... 1...

Beautiful piece. GLWS! Not that you gonna need it anyway! ;)

Jwit and Mothra like this.
  3. Ricbo2010 Jan 17, 2018

Hi, I've sent you a PM

4. Mothra Jan 17, 2018

OHPF. I'll confirm when sale is final.

chanbar, ewand and Hnansen like this.
  5. Mothra Jan 18, 2018

Sale proceeded smoothly, but thanks for all the interest and definitely thanks to the omegaforums family.

mbeast, Larry S, chanbar and 3 others like this.