Forums Latest Members
  1. aojbirks Nov 19, 2014

Hello all,

My late grandfather passed down this Constellation that he bought some time in the 1960s - was wondering if anyone can advise me as to, well, pretty much anything really, I love the look of the thing and would dearly love to get it restored, but alas, equally, times are tough and if it were too much to restore, how much would it be worth in its present condition?

All the typical newbie questions, I'm sure, but any advice will be greatly appreciated, as a trawl of Google has only added confusion rather than increasing knowledge!

Apologies in advance for the photos, but I'm stuck using a phone as a camera at the moment... :(

IMAG1256 (1).jpg IMAG1256.jpg IMAG1257.jpg IMAG1258.jpg IMAG1259.jpg IMAG1260.jpg IMAG1261.jpg IMAG1262.jpg IMAG1263.jpg !

JohnSteed likes this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

Your grandfather obviously had fine taste in watches! The 60's Constellation, I think, is one of the greatest, best-looking watches there is...

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in shortly, but on first glance, the watch looks fairly well taken care of. To have any idea as to value, however, you will have to show us better, in-focus full dial pics, movement pic, and an inner caseback pic.

How is the timekeeping? Do you know if your GF ever had it serviced?

Keep in mind that the biggest value might be to you as a family heirloom; if you sell it, you may regret it down the road!

All the best, and WELCOME!

aojbirks likes this.
  3. aojbirks Nov 19, 2014

Hi, dougiedude - thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

Totally agree with you, I love the look of this watch, that's why I'm wanting to do the best I can (afford) for it...

I shall beg/borrow a camera to get some proper shots - how would I open the rear to shoot the movement & caseback?

As to running, it's not running at present, it's been in a careful loving box since the man himself passed away more years ago than I care to consider, and to my knowledge he never had it serviced, but anyone I might ask about that is equally no longer with us, so...

The family heirloom idea is at the front of my mind, believe me. I hate the idea of parting with it...

Thanks again.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

You would need to have a professional (or someone with the right tools and know-how) open the back. Don't try it yourself :eek:!

Did you give that crown about 30-40 turns so it might run?

In the meantime, to get some idea as to timekeeping/movement condition, set the time to your computer or phone, and see how many seconds (or minutes) off it becomes over 6 to 12 to 24 hours, and report back...

5. peatnick Nov 19, 2014

Edited Nov 19, 2014
  6. Sherbie Nov 19, 2014

Looking at the dial font, your watch is early 60,s, up to about 1962-3 from memory with the "automatic chronometer" text.

The watch will come up a treat with a little TLC - even polishing the crystal will improve matters considerably (toothpaste might work here, used in moderation, of course)

Nice inheritance, cheers, paul

aojbirks likes this.
  7. Hijak Nov 19, 2014

I don't think this is a 14381 as these came in a different case...
    Omega Constellation Pie Pan 1959, 1.jpg
    It is certainly from that time frame, very late 50s, early 60s, missing the "Officially Certified" on the dial tells us that. It looks like a nice original watch that with a sympathetic service and cleaning would be a great keepsake with memories of your Grandfather. I would not bring this to Omega for this but to an independent watchmaker who knows vintage Omegas. Omega would destroy the value of this by replacing hands, dial and other things with modern replacements. This not only affecting the monetary value but the sentimental value as well. congratulations on a very nice watch!:thumbsup:

Edit: I would also value this a little higher...with a sympathetic service and cleaning (cost around $200ish), around $1000 to $1200 US

aojbirks, JohnSteed and dougiedude like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

Definitely not a 14381, that reference is not a dogleg case . Likely a 14900. with a cal 551

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. JohnSteed Nov 19, 2014

or 14393? Edit:- NO...that has a date!

I echo the sentiments above re service.

Welcome to OF, aojbirks

aojbirks likes this.
  10. TNTwatch Nov 19, 2014

It's a nice watch with either a 14900 or 167.005 case and a 551 movement, but that's not as important as getting it properly serviced like the good advices above. If nothing major broken, the service cost would be around $200 plus parts to replace worn out items like the rotor's post and bushing which are most likely worn out by now.

aojbirks likes this.
  11. Mothra Nov 19, 2014

Yes, nice watch, lovely heirloom. Little bit of spotting on the dial is just the watches badge of longevity, do not get it refinished as you will wipe away your granddad and kill the value. Don't wind it or time it, (there will be no oil left in it) get it serviced and stuck it on a nice alligator strap. It'll keep time to within a few seconds a day and last another fifty years.

aojbirks likes this.
  12. aga79 Nov 19, 2014

great heirloom !!!
    my grandpa didn't pass me a single watch
    but he was the one who made me realy-really love OMEGA with his Seamaster Automatic TV Shape

anyway, maybe you can consider a strap like this :

IMG_20130909_064809.jpg

Mothra, Gavin and TNTwatch like this.
  13. ColinM Nov 19, 2014

Constellation big.jpg I have one just like this I have just had serviced, its a 1963 with a 167.005 case and a cal 551 movt. Sorry the image is slightly blurred!

Edited Nov 19, 2014
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

You have a 167.005 but it is not the same model as the OP, note the script differences.

15. ColinM Nov 19, 2014

Ah right, Sorry for the confusion folks! I am a bit new with these so I do apologise.

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

What he says! Winding it, and timing it is what I'm used to doing with my new watches, so nOOb not-so-good advice from me earlier, my apologies...

If there's a chance it hasn't been professionally serviced, then there's no point in running it (winding it) while it's dry to determine timekeeping accuracy... get it serviced first :thumbsup:

Edit: Looks very close, but not quite.. both gorgeous!

aojbirks and Mothra like this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

Nothing to apologize for, these are similar models and they can be very confusing at times. With Constellations, it only continues to get more complicated the more you get into them.

ColinM likes this.
  18. Hijak Nov 19, 2014

Is that the famous Constellation Seamaster model?

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

No, believe it's the infamous Constellation Seamaster model.

John R Smith and Hijak like this.
  20. TNTwatch Nov 19, 2014

What exactly is it? How famous/infamous?