Forums Latest Members

1950 Omega Seamaster Automatic with red arrow tipped second hand?

1. Johan Aug 30, 2014

Hello everyone. I very much like this forum and found so many interesting advice and hints about Omega vintage watches.
    After having found a nice Seamaster Aqua Terra (last generation) for myself, I am very much interested in buying a watch I found on the website of an internet dealer. My wife likes it a lot.
    But...I cannot find this model anywhere else. Difficult now to compare its condition and price segment.
    I kind of like the watches patina, though it seems quite worn out. What would you say about this Seamaster?
    It is advertised as a 1950 solid 18k rose gold bumper watch. Prize shall be $1300.
    Thanks a lot for giving your highly appreciated comments. All best from Germany. J.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. mbeast Aug 30, 2014

I'd stay away from that one. Dial is a definite redial, crown is unoriginal and I've not personally seen that seconds hand on any Omega. Movement doesn't look in great shape either. You can do better!

Johan likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 30, 2014

It looks more like a chronograph second counter or a date indicator.

Johan likes this.
  4. John R Smith Aug 30, 2014

This watch is an Omega "Tresor" 2643 with a cal 351 movement. Here is a link to the Omega database.

Unfortunately, this example is not a good one. The dial has been very poorly refinished, and the automatic movement looks to be in poor condition with most of the copper plating missing and some water damage. The crown is also incorrect.

Certainly not a collectable example, and not worth the asking price :thumbsdown:

Johan likes this.
  5. Johan Aug 30, 2014

Thank you all for your very valuable answers and information. And really quick. :)
    That is very good help. I will look out for a better one.
    Thanks again.

6. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

Hi Johan,
    I am late with my post here...:)
    Your Seamaster looks amazing. I have one myself with the same arrow central seconds hand in SS watch case - I have read a comment above, that someone has never seen an Omega with such central seconds hand...- well, because one have not seen it before, it does not mean that it does not exists... I hope that you have purchased this watch (for a lower price:) I think everything is factory original except the crown. The movement can be restored. Greetings from Switzerland!:)

7. mac_omega Feb 14, 2024

Sorry to contradict - read the comments above ^

The dial is definitely not factory original! Maybe the metal plate but not the plating and print. It is a very poor reprint

8. MtV Feb 14, 2024

Is it just me or is it slightly odd for someone to register here, only to comment on one specific thread about a watch that’s for sale with a whole lot of incorrect nonsense?

The second hand is yellow gold and clearly contrasts the rose gold of the other hands and the case. Even ignoring the style etc that’s indication enough it’s never been intended for this watch.

The dial is such a clear redial - I mean, the word Seamaster alone is almost comically bad and wonky. Everybody with just the smallest portion of experience with vintage watches will notice that. No offense to @Johan, you did well to ask.

And @OmegaLove by all means, do share a pic of your SS example that’s supposedly identical, but that won’t change the fact that this one’s a bad choice and it’s value about melt value + maybe 100€/$ for the movement.

@Johan there are beautiful pieces out there from trustworthy sellers. This is neither. Move on would be my advise.

/edit: Only just now noticed the 10 years between the two posts ::facepalm1::

Bruce235, Hetcins1 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  9. Fallout Boy Feb 14, 2024

let s create a red-seconds-hand thread :D

Altitude 1m.JPG

10. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

-Right... if you think you know better:)

11. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

Right... If you think you know better.

12. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

I see you guys think that you are experts... I just leave you guys to it. You can think you know better:)

unnamed.jpg
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 14, 2024

He doesn't just think he knows better. He does. Your dial has been stripped of lacquer and most of its text and has a hand set from god knows where. It's a basket case. Like the OP watch that hand doesn't remotely belong.

DaveK and MtV like this.
  14. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

Same arrow hand...

15. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

:) If you say so. LOL

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 14, 2024

I do. I really do!

17. OmegaLove Feb 14, 2024

Really...??? You think really know better. The watch just came back from Omega, I have sent it there because I thought the same....(I am based in Switzerland) Here is everything factory original OMEGA except the crown. It would be better you get some knowledge before you write these things. This is the most unserious forum I have ever been to....

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 14, 2024

Perhaps Sir would therefore like to jog on and find a more serious one. The crown on yours looks perfectly fine to me by the way, it's about the only thing that does...

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2024

x1739710-072b2a8d51498d41237349f9852fa56d.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OPdf82Qccf.jpg

If Omega did that to your dial you have a good opportunity to sue them. (Note: Image re-hosted just in case it disappears).

20. MtV Feb 14, 2024

::popcorn::

DaveK likes this.