Forums Latest Members
  1. Dedalus Oct 13, 2014

I've only just begun to learn about the world of vintage UG, but following this auction on Ebay, I have to say that I was much surprised by the outcome. Could more knowledgable members educate me as to why this fetched the price it did. ::book::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-Univer...XthWWbEAumKrMQ02ppqa8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 13, 2014

Very nice condition, early reference, with paperwork. Someone had to have it. I will leave specifics to those more knowledgeable. :)

3. Waynepjr Oct 14, 2014

You know I got to say this is sweet watch in fine condition. And when do you see any UG with original papers? Like never, EVER! And then I see the selling price and I know it is just one of those "have to have it" buys. IMHO, paid WAY too much for just the papers and basically that is what the buyer paid the premium for is the original docs. Will never, ever, ever, recoup his money unless he finds another buyer with his same like mindedness or foolhardyness, whichever category you would like to put it in. Me..... ::screwloose::
    Seeing that the watch itself would have gone for around 2k range in this condition, this is one monster of a sale
    for the owner. ::money::

Wayne

cristos71 likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 14, 2014

Very nicely summarized - couldn't agree more. This is a very special buy for a document fetishist

5. Dedalus Oct 15, 2014

Thank you both. Approx. $2k is what my (admittedly limited) experience told me it should be worth, hence my post as the final selling price was surprising.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 15, 2014

Lordy. This is what happens if an Ashley meet an Ashley, comin' through the rye.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2014

That's a beyond Ashley price for a watch like that. I need to show the listing to my brother-in-law. He has his father's 18K Uni-compax which is about the same age. He has the box, original band and buckle. He may have the paper work also, that I don't know.

It isn't running right and I've been bugging him to get it serviced for no reason other than to have something to pass to his sons belonging to their grandfather.

gatorcpa

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 15, 2014

9. Mothra Oct 16, 2014

Please tell me someone here got that Spanish one?

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 16, 2014

11. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Oct 16, 2014

Congrats, quite a catch!

MMMD likes this.
  12. Mothra Oct 16, 2014

:) ¿dónde está la biblioteca?

13. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com Oct 18, 2014

Well, I will admit a secret. I was the under-bider on the Uni-Compax with documentation. The price was crazy, and even my own max was crazy, but I'd just never seen anything like it - with paper work like that, and it would complete a nice set I have in the works at the moment of black dial Universals. Do i wish I had bid higher? No, i do not. But to whomever did go higher, I commend them on a truly spectacular piece and I hope it shows up here on the forum (though if i had to guess, it likely went to an Italian dealer, and we'll see it for sale soon for 10K euro plus). Great package either way.

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 18, 2014

Good grief! Don't you already do enough to inflate UG prices? ;)

Waynepjr, Melchiades and LouS like this.
  15. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com Oct 18, 2014

MMMD LOL i prefer the term "correct" instead of "inflate". Though, that was the one and only time I considered going "crazy" for a piece in an auction, mostly out of the desire to actually see what original paperwork looks like for these watches that we love so much. Hope to find another one some day (for maybe half the price?).

MMMD likes this.
  16. Waynepjr Oct 18, 2014

Well, I guesssssss you could have claimed it as a business expense. ;)

Wayne

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 18, 2014

18. Waynepjr Oct 29, 2014

Have talked about this one in the past. Seller has tried to resell this many times since buying it after being featured in the "Article". In the past the original UG strap was not being offered and now it is, to no avail as it went unsold again as i sould at the 4k market. Only the insane would pay such a outrageous price or maybe one just wanting to see want an original strap from the day looks like.

Wayne