Forums Latest Members
  1. aglinz Jan 20, 2014

Dear Sirs,

I have been looking for a nice Tri Compax for a while, and as these things go, I have not found a Tri Compax I liked, but something (not so) entirely different - a 1930s Compur. I really like the composition of the dial, with the Tachymeter running along the edge, the short hands and the numbers moved towards the center of the dial.

Dial, hands and caliber seem to check out - albeit internet research only - compared to other pieces of this type:

Dial and hands, cf http://catalogue.drouot.com/ref-drouot/lot-ventes-aux-encheres-drouot.jsp?id=52736
    UG caliber 283 cf http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/Watchguy/IMG_5820_zps24cd71dc.jpg and http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/neil271052/60086540b916bd6136b050a8be925da58c9.jpg

May I please ask for your oppinion? Asking price is USD 2600, regulated & in full working order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original listing here:
    http://www.lorologiese.com/it/unive...ur-style-small-steel-chronograph-cal-283.html

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Andy

luzer likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 20, 2014

Looks stunning. I can't comment on the watch itself, but the prices ive seen at that dealer are usually fairly high.

3. timeismoney Jan 20, 2014

The case back is missing its model number I think, others will chime in soon.

4. timeismoney Jan 20, 2014

Just quickly checked the Sala book, the caseback is correct without identification.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

It appears to be correct. It is expensive, given that it is only 32.5mm in diameter (that in itself not unusual for a chronograph of the 1930s). Are you sure you are OK with the size?

6. aglinz Jan 20, 2014

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

The seller confirmed yesterday that all parts except glass and strap are original to the best of his knowledge. This seems to be in line with the findings here. He has yet to come back to me as to when the last full service was performed. Does anyone have experience with a full service for such a piece? Would an estimate of USD 800 be realistic, given the age, (presumably) lack of spare parts and chrono complication?

As to the size, I've been thinking about that too, LouS. 32.5 mm is certainly on the small end, but there's something about the proportion and colors of the dial that strongly resonates with me. The Tri-Compax is 34.5 mm if I'm not mistaken?

Concerning the price, I did not find many comparable pieces on sale, which makes comparison a bit tricky. The watch seems to be in good condition with an aged but still very readable dial and what seems to be original parts. Would you think the price is high-but-acceptable or over-priced?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

Overpriced. Watches below 34mm are typically cheaper - they don't find many buyers. This one - generously - should be in the mid to high 1000s (USD). It would really be only of interest to UG enthusiasts because of the size.

Tri-Compaxes come in multiple references, from 33mm to 38mm. The late-model twisted-lug ones are 35mm.

It's a pretty dial, but it's also photographed well. Don't be surprised if it does not come across as saturated and colorful in real life. And I would caution you to think again about the size, unless you've had a 32mm watch on your wrist and you were satisfied. I'm a small (by modern standards) wearer, and 33mm is my bottom limit.

8. timeismoney Jan 20, 2014

Lou is right, the photograph definitely put it in a very good light and it may not come across as saturated. That said, I find the proportion to be slightly smaller than I would like, 35mm is my ideal dressy chronograph if there is such a thing but it is not alarmingly small. Here is a picture of the 32.5mm Compax on a 6.75" wrist for your reference. Hope this help you decide.

Price is definitely on the high side right now but if you can get it for mid 1K, it is not a bad investment imho. Best of luck.

photo.JPG
  9. aglinz Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for the Compax picture, that's quite helpful! I'm a 6.75" myself, so the size might just work.

Having said that, factoring all of the above in, I am a bit reluctant to order over the interweb without having seen and tried it in real life. I'll be in Switzerland in March and might just wait until then and go check it out in person - will let you know how it goes. With the asking price being rather high it hopefully won't go anywhere until then.

Thanks heaps for your expertise and advise!

Cheers,
    Andy

10. aglinz Mar 8, 2014

Gents,
    I eventually got the piece, for a little less than advertised but still on the high end of the spectrum. I was worried about the small size at first but now love how light it sits on the wrist! I wanted to thank you guys for your expertise and to share a few pictures with you.

Now, where do I find a nice 15 mm leather strap? :)

Cheers,
    Andy

IMG_3384_xs.JPG IMG_3383_xs.JPG IMG_3391_xs.JPG

Diabolik, Ericoh, Gavin and 3 others like this.
  11. timeismoney Mar 8, 2014

:thumbsup: How about a wrist shot?

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 8, 2014

Lovely dial. I'd like to see it deployed for action as well

13. woodwkr2 Mar 8, 2014

Beautiful. Loves those old tachy spirals!

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 8, 2014

Lovely!

15. aglinz Mar 9, 2014

With pleasure :)
    image.jpg

Ericoh likes this.
  16. timeismoney Mar 9, 2014

Fantastic! And the hands (of the watch, not your hands:p ) are perfect match with that jacket, well done!

aglinz likes this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 9, 2014

It looks excellent, and at least on this view, not a bit too small.

18. waXology Jan 29, 2016

Sorry to drag up an old thread but Andy, i wanted to see why you sold this? I notice it coming up for sale a bit. Was it too small?

It looks lovely and am considering it but the size worrys me, even though that wrist shot looks great.

Not even sure if Andy still lurks here?

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 29, 2016

I've seen it too, and considered it too-- never realized it used to belong to someone here. It's been offered for the past few months on Chronocentric, Orologi e Passioni (Italy), and Chronomania (France), and I just realized different seller contacts out of Italy have been listed.
    That feels quite fishy considering they're all using those same pictures posted here. Shouldnt we consider they're all scammers who have pilfered those pictures and holding themselves out as owning the watch?

20. Stefano Feb 5, 2016

I went to see this watch, and promptly bought it. The seller was a nice straightforeward guy and a pleasure to deal with. It's really quite beautiful notwithstanding the fact that it is also amazingly small at 32,5mm. The 283 movement looks like it just came out of the factory and the dial is deeply pretty so I'm a happy man. I've also got a tiny wrist which undoubtedly helps, but truthfully I can see my girlfriend using this watch more than me, which actually makes me happier still :)